2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
¼ teaspoon salt
12 ounces cooked chicken breast, shredded (about 3 cups)
1 cup shredded Mexican-blend cheese, divided
1 (15 ounce) can enchilada sauce (1½ cups), divided
3 medium zucchini (about 1 pound), trimmed
⅓ cup sour cream
3 tablespoons reduced-fat milk
1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, poblano and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables have softened and are beginning to brown, about six minutes. Reduce heat to medium if vegetables start to burn. Transfer to a large bowl. Add chicken, ½ cup cheese and ½ cup enchilada sauce. Stir to combine; set aside.
- Using a vegetable peeler or mandolin slicer, slice zucchini lengthwise into thin strips (see Tip). Discard any uneven and broken pieces. You should end up with 48 slices.
- Spread ¼ cup enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Lay three strips of zucchini on a clean work surface, overlapping the edges by ¼ inch or so. Place 2 generous tablespoons of the chicken filling across the middle of the zucchini strips. Gently roll the zucchini strips around the filling and place seam-side down in the prepared dish. Repeat with the remaining zucchini strips and filling. (You should have 16 enchiladas.) Top the zucchini rolls with the remaining ¾ cup enchilada sauce and ½ cup cheese.
- Bake until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is melted, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk sour cream and milk together in a small bowl. When the enchiladas have finished baking, top with lettuce and cilantro. Drizzle the sour cream mixture over the top.
To make ahead: Assemble enchiladas through Step 3. Refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Tip: The strips should be able to roll around the filling without breaking. Test a few strips to make sure you have the right thickness. If they break, slice them thinner.
Serving size: 4 enchiladas
Per serving: 443 calories; 32 g fat(14 g sat); 2 g fiber; 12 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 62 mcg folate; 118 mg cholesterol; 5 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 2,330 IU vitamin A; 31 mg vitamin C; 273 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 316 mg sodium; 694 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (52% daily value), Vitamin A (47% dv), Calcium (27% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 4½ fat, 2½ lean protein, 1½ vegetable, 1 high-fat protein