- 1.5 lbs organic boneless chicken breasts
- 1 large white or Japanese sweet potato peeled and cut into 3/4 inch chunks about 3 cups*
- 2 cups homemade bone broth or sugar free broth/stock
- 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh jalapeños
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper more or less depending on your spice preference
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried cilantro or 1 tbsp fresh minced
- 1 tbsp organic ghee clarified butter
- 1/2 cup coconut cream**
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast – optional
Place the chicken in the slow cooker and top with sweet potato cubes, broth, green chilis, jalapeño, onion and garlic, salt and all the spices (you will leave out the last 4 ingredients for now) Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low 6-7 hours. I use a programmable slow cooker which makes timing things very convenient!
After the cook time is complete, remove the chicken to a large dish and set aside. Add the ghee, coconut cream, lime juice, and nutritional yeast to the slow cooker and stir well to combine.
Cover and cook on hi for 20 minutes.
During this time, shred the chicken with two forks, then add it back to the slow cooker after 20 minutes and continue to cook 10 more minutes on high.
Serve with avocado, extra cilantro or chives. Enjoy!
*If you can’t find a white sweet potato, a common orange one will be fine, just cut into 1″ inch chunks since they’re a bit softer.
**Coconut cream is the solid part in a can of refrigerated coconut milk. You can buy full fat coconut milk and use only the thick part, or purchase a can of coconut cream only.