Heartland Health & Wellness Fund provides short-term disability benefits to its plan participants. The Short-Term Disability Specialist processes disability pay, communicates with participants, provider and employers over the internet, phone and fax documenting all records within our systems accurately. The ideal candidate has excellent listening and problem-solving skills. He/she has a strong understanding of medical terminology/procedures and an abundance of patience and diplomacy.
Heartland Health & Wellness Fund is 39,000 members strong, comprised of plan participants, spouses and dependents in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, West Virginia and Wisconsin represented by the United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) union. As a regional health plan, Heartland provides quality health and wellness benefits and eligibility information to its plan participants and their families.
- Process the weekly short-term disability pay so that checks go out in a timely manner.
- Communicate with disability participants, providers, and employers over the phone, internet and fax to update the disability records.
- Process all disability pay applications in a timely manner
- Correspond with and answer questions from participants and providers regarding benefits and eligibility.
- Respond to request from participants for special forms.
- Properly document correspondence and claims adjudication notes and decisions as well as any other required information.
- Review incoming claims correspondence and updates system.
- Maintain thorough and current knowledge of SPDs, Plan Documents including eligibility rules, benefit provisions, and payment procedures.
- Assist with special projects as needed and/or other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent – required.
- Knowledge of medical terminology/procedures – preferred.
- Two years college or Certified Professional Coder Certification – preferred.
- Typical office setting experience including filing, typing, scanning, copying, computer knowledge – required.