- 1 1⁄2 cups lentils
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and finely diced 1 large clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium bay leaf
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Place the lentils in a colander and pick over and remove any stones or foreign objects.
- Rinse under cold running water until the water runs clear.
- Heat the oil in a heavy stock pot. Add the carrot, onion, garlic, and bay leaf.
- Sauté over low heat for about 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the lentils and chicken stock to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the lentils are tender throughout, but still hold their shape.
- Remove from the heat.
- Season and serve.
Calories 146, Fat 7.3g, Carbs 15.4g, Protein 5.1g, Sodium 287mg