As part of a healthy diet, eat at least two servings of fish each week. Oily fish, which contain omega-3 fatty acids, are best. These fish include salmon, mackerel, lake trout, herring, and sardines.
Fish as part of a heart-healthy diet
Fish is an important part of a heart-healthy diet. A heart-healthy diet is not just for people who have existing health problems. It is good for all healthy adults and children older than age 2. Learning heart-healthy eating habits now can help prevent problems in years to come. Eating a heart-healthy diet can help you to:
- Lower your blood pressure.
- Lower your cholesterol.
- Help lower your risk of coronary artery disease.
- Reach and stay at a healthy weight.
- Prevent or control diabetes.
- Improve your overall health.